Re: Meals
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantCOHOUSING-SOLUTIONS.COM)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 17:16:12 -0700 (PDT)
Glad to hear you're not starving out there.....

We really simplified things when one of our members wrote a nifty
web-based meal program for posting menus, sign ups ANDDDDDD all the meal
accounting. So now, the cooks put in how much they spent on the meal, and
that is automatically divided by all the diners (kids under 3 eat free,
kids under 12 eat at half price, 80% for vegies), and we have a rolling
tab for every household on line.... If you feel you are out too much money,
you can ask for reimbursement from the bookkeeper.  We try to zero out the
system $$ at the end of the year.  Make the $$ side really easy.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

On 9/14/15, 4:57 PM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of Ann Zabaldo"
<cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on
behalf of zabaldo [at] earthlink.net> wrote:

> [...]
>around for about 10 years +.  So maybe a new plan is in order.
>
>Please note that while we have this one sit down meal a week ... we eat a
>LOT here.  No one is losing weight.  Between holidays, birthdays, BBQs
>brunches, special events, work days, etc.  the calorie count exceeds the
>national standard.
>

>Best --
>
>Ann Zabaldo
>Takoma Village Cohousing
>Washington, DC
>Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
>Falls Church, VA
>703.688.2646
>

>On Sep 14, 2015, at 7:10 PM, Kathryn McCamant
><kmccamant [at] cohousing-solutions.com> wrote:
>>

>> At Nevada City Cohousing, we donąt tie the abilty to eat common meals to
>> cooking. We try to get all adults to participate in the cook teams, but
>> other than reminders there are no penalties for not being on a cook
>>team.
>> This means we donąt really know if people are eating and not cooking. I
>> suspect that those who donąt cook much, rarely eat common meals. But we
>> would always encourage people who canąt cook (new baby, elder or sick,
>>or
>> just generally overwhelmed) to come to common meals if they can, even if
>> they arenąt cooking.
>>
>> That being said, Leal..who is 80 something and has had Stage 4 lung
>>cancer
>> for 4 years (She reports her doctors canąt figure why she is still
>>alive!?
>> Must be those common meals!!!), regularly comes to meals and pitches in
>>as
>> she can on mealsŠsometimes by providing her famous German Chocolate
>> Brownies for dessert.
>>
>> We just generally feel that meals is where so much of our community life
>> happens or begins (new ideas, sorting out old ones) that we want to
>> encourage everyone to participate as much as they can, with the idea if
>> they are coming to meals more then they will likely also do more for/in
>> the community all around because they will feel more connected to the
>> whole thing.
>>
>> Katie
>> --
>> Kathryn McCamant, President
>> CoHousing Solutions
>> 241B Commercial Street
>> Nevada City, CA 95959
>> T.530.478.1970  C.916.798.4755
>> www.cohousing-solutions.com
>>

>> On 9/14/15, 3:52 PM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of Ann Zabaldo"
>> <cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on
>> behalf of zabaldo [at] earthlink.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Are there any cohousing communities out there that allow members to pay
>>> only? And not cook or clean?
>>>
>>> Under what circumstances do you allow this? For instance if a person
>>>has
>>> a new baby, is elderly, has a serious conflict etc.
>>>
>>> Do any of you have a system in which only some people cook and clean

  • Meals, (continued)
    • Meals Ann Zabaldo, September 14 2015
      • Re: Meals Karen Carlson, September 14 2015
      • Re: Meals Kathryn McCamant, September 14 2015
        • Re: Meals Ann Zabaldo, September 14 2015
        • Re: Meals Kathryn McCamant, September 14 2015
        • Re: Meals Sharon Villines, September 14 2015
        • Re: Meals Ann Zabaldo, September 14 2015
        • Re: Meals Kathryn McCamant, September 14 2015
        • Re: Meals Muriel Kranowski, September 14 2015