Re: Low Income [ was Affordable Cohousing
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 07:34:19 -0700 (PDT)
There are various low income ownership models out there. For instance, some
involve long-term, low interest loans of lenient qualification standards.
Most, however, try to deliver a house for significantly less than the "fair
market” price.  The price of this “bargain” house is low because somebody
subsidized part of the cost of delivering the unit.  Maybe it was the
government using public money or donated land; or maybe it was an internal
transfer (either voluntary or forced) from market units to the subsidized unit.
 In any event, the "market rate" unit may get sold for, say, $200,000, and the
identical “affordable" unit right next to it for, say, $130,000.  Not to just
anyone, but to a certified low income, pre-qualified buyer.

So where does limited equity kick in?  What good does it do?  Part of it is
related to preventing "windfall” profits; nobody can feel good about the low
income buyer getting the unit for $130K, then selling it for $210K six months
later.  But in the bigger picture, most hope that affordable units will stay
affordable over time, doing a consistent, reliable job of supporting income
diversity in the community.  So when the affordable unit goes back on the
market five, ten, or fifteen years later, it should go back on at a
written-down price, not at a market rate price.

So how do we do this?  Well, one way is for the government to pony up public
money at each transfer, permanently keeping the price of this designated unit
artificially low.  The government, needless to say, remains very wary of
assuming a permanent unfunded and uncontrollable obligation of this sort.  The
other way is limited equity:  Upon selling, the beneficiary of the subsidized
unit can collect a small profit, but not a big one.  The artificially
constrained sale price of the affordable unit now benefits a new certified low
income household.  The overall idea is that limited equity ownership is not a
plan for life, it’s a stepping stone into the housing ownership market.
Ideally, limited equity units are turning over with some regularity, as
households prosper and move on to a better solution.

At Cornerstone, we have four limited equity units.  I must mention two on-going
management challenges worth keeping in mind.  First, we have no communal way of
influencing the transfer of these units, and sometimes they have been occupied
by households seeming to have little interest in the cohousing culture.
Second, it sometimes appears that the households living in the affordable units
have more financial flexibility than some of the market rate households — so
it’s difficult for our community to give consideration to operating discounts
(e.g., reduced annual assessments) for the affordables.

Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA