Re: What is “Open”
From: Jude Foster (foster.judegmail.com)
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 07:22:06 -0800 (PST)
Sharon and all,
Thank you for writing this post (thank you for all your writing….)  Open
communication is a challenging, shifting subject, and it has gotten more
complicated rather than less, as the media/communication possibilities
multiply, and as people’s lives are ever more complex as a result.

I am just finishing a thorough survey of our community members to gather info
on everyone’s communication preferences OUTSIDE of F2F and our shared,
organized  e-bulletin board and server.
I took it on after several personal game-changing realizations - for instance:
"oh, he’ll read it if I text, but not if I email.”

For ordinary community business and connections, some people want to be texted,
some prefer phone calls, some email.  Some use texts for family but don’t want
it complicated by community, some would rather never speak on the phone, many
but not most are still committed email users, a few still have land lines.
And so on.    Then it changes for day-of or more urgent communication:  what
does each person use there, what will work best?   My inventory of preferences
shows quite a range of differences among us, it’s been very interesting to
explore.

Even doctor’s offices and such are jumping on this bandwagon, aren’t they?  I
had a dentist appointment recently, and I received several emails and texts to
remind me - geesh!  I had to tell them to back off.

It is not just generational, at least within our community, though that is
certainly a big factor.  My own Millenial sons have now trained me to message
them via Facebook or text rather than email.    Sharon refers to extroverts as
still loving bulletin boards, which had never occurred to me.    Some older
Boomers keep up with the latest, texting and Facetime and beyond, others choose
not to.

Anyway, back to “what is ‘open’” - I am about to report out to our community:
these people prefer texts, these prefer email, and so on.  And then good luck
to us all to notice the preferences, to make it work, and to keep up with
continuing change.

Cheers from the computer,
Jude, Trillium Hollow, Portland Oregon