Re: How big is too big (for a house)
From: Mary Vallier-Kaplan (marycvkgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 13:02:43 -0700 (PDT)
Here are my musings on the impact of the size of the unit after almost 10
years of living in cohousing....

I live at Nubanusit Neighborhood & Farm in Peterborough, NH in a community
that was once looked down upon as the highest cost per square foot
cohousing community in the country.  I am not denying that statement but
have learned that a cohousing community needs to reflect the overall
community in which you live and ours does given we have the equivalent of
over 3 acres of land per unit and have used high end architectural and
sustainability features all which reflect comparable new construction.
However we built different sizes of units 1 BR/no basement to 4BR with
attic and basement units to promote a variety of family types and sizes and
hopefully income too.  THis has worked pretty well though there is a 4BR
house with one person and a 3BR with 5 people!

Our units however are quite large too.  What I have noticed over the 10
years of having stayed at maybe 10+ different cohousing communities is that
the communities where the units are smaller there is greater use of the
Common HOuse out of necessity.  No personal laundry room, no extra BR, no
extra family room, a small kitchen, etc. drives people of all ages to use
the common spaces which I believe is an asset.

Mary