Re: Calif HOAs - worker's comp requirements for onsite labor?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 09:54:17 -0700 (PDT)
> On Sep 18, 2018, at 12:10 PM, Mariana Almeida via Cohousing-L <cohousing-l
> [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

> We have determined that our regular insurance wouldn't cover a worker who got
> injured on site (or something like that.)

We have an insurance for “volunteers” that covers residents and guests— all
unpaid.

>   - What have you done to make sure your laborers, esp. single owner types,
> comply with worker's comp? We haven't yet required insurance verification but
> might start to. Is there a way to check electronically?

All paid workers must have insurance. We only hire people who have their own
insurance. They have to supply us with a certificate of insurance—usually faxed
to us or the management company. Otherwise you open yourself to all kinds of
worker’s compensation. Some workers might view cohousing/condos as “rich” and
look for ways to sue them.

>   - Is there any type of insurance we could buy that would take care of this
> situation?

We have yet to get a good answer from our insurance company about whether we
can insure uninsured workers by the job or whatever. There are people who do
work for residents and could do many jobs for us. They have day jobs and work
by the hour for nonbusiness clients when moonlighting, so they don’t need
insurance themselves.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines