Re: Need Zoning Law Expertise
From: Jenny Guy (jenstermeistergmail.com)
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 08:24:05 -0700 (PDT)
My favorite type of urban housing is the "Garden Apartment", 1 or 2
stories, flats not townhouses, built around a central  courtyard. Each
apartment or condo has a front and back door. Ideally a little porch on the
back, and of course it's best when the parking is not in the courtyard!

There is a huge difference between this and a big cube where your front
door is accessed by an interior hallway, so each unit only has windows on
one side, and if there's a courtyard somewhere you can't just step out your
door into it.

They used to build a lot of these around here, but now with new
construction they want to cram more units into the space. But it's so much
denser than single family homes, I think it's the perfect missing middle.
But like Philip said, it doesn't fit everyone's idea of the American dream.

It's in the apartment category, but it's somewhere between the descriptions
of apartments and row houses

Happily, that's where I live.
Jenny
Kingfisher Cohousing, Oakland CA