Re: 4 P's, accessibility (was Sample Rules, Regs)
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 07:06:46 -0800 (PST)
Mary Huang <maryhuanggd [at] gmail.com>
after restoring subject line.

Hi Debbie,

Accessibility or universal design is not yet a core policy for Concorde
Cohousing in Ottawa (Canada) but I hope it would be.

Having gone through the process with Mom and Dad, I think accessibility (or
universal design) is very important for aging in place.   Also I fractured
my foot last year and I had issues with half a flight of stairs for about 2
months. It is more expensive, especially the 1-2 elevators, to pay for up
front but they are a fraction of what you would need to pay for retrofit
afterwards.   We have someone in wheelchair in our group currently and we
would really like to be inclusive.

I have been on a few green house project webinars and the model seems to be
interesting.  Have not looked at the Eden Alternative other than
superficially but it seems to be a person centric model too.  I paid to
visit Hogeweyk (Dutch Alzheimer Village) and absolutely love it.  6 to 7
people coliving in a household with staff with a restaurant, a pub, lots of
common rooms and areas for activities and even a market / grocery store and
theatre.

This is the facebook post I wrote back in Oct 2018
https://www.facebook.com/mary.huang.167/posts/10156834467050956

Mary