Re: offensive language in the game
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 08:03:55 -0800 (PST)
Hmm. I think this is discussion about name calling?
Should we engage in name calling or not?
And, if it turns out a thing we are calling someone is something that
they hear as name calling, should we stop?

Or I suppose, we could say to them "cut me some slack, I like name calling"?

Or perhaps what we are doing is saying "lets cut some slack for the
people who do name calling since they didn't intend harm?"

It is good to have good intentions but you can still cause harm. Good
intent doesn't prevent causing harm. A way to show good intent is to
try to avoid causing harm, and thus to avoid name calling.
It doesn't feel like a big ask to ask people to apologize for creating
harm by calling names and to try not to do it again.

"It is hard to keep up with the language changes." Well, yes, yes it
is, and it means sometimes I say the wrong thing. But because I care
about people, I go ahead and make the effort.

Liz
Mosaic Commons in Berlin, MA