Re: How Cohousing communities decide on new members
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 10:16:54 -0700 (PDT)
Jim — congrats to you and your group on reaching this milestone in your group’s
time line.  So sweet!

I don’t know what your legal structure is at this point — are you a
partnership?  Have you started selling units? Taking contracts?  This will be
of great importance.  You talk about choosing members.  Membership in what?

Depending on what you are choosing people for there could be Fair Housing laws
at play.

Regardless of FH laws I would be skeptical of trying to social engineer
diversity.  From my experience here at Takoma Village in Washington, DC, a city
that is 55% non white, I believe the most important thing to do is to create a
welcoming community for everyone.  And, to remove the barriers of inclusion
which often are our own misunderstandings of what the real issues are for
people of color.  Or for anyone.  What’s the hesitation on the part of those
seeking your community?

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Ex. Dir. & MemberBoard of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

When Isaac Newton stayed at home to avoid the 1665 Plague, he discovered the
Laws of Gravity, Optics, and he invented Calculus.

NOTE: I am switching back to: zabaldo [at] earthlink.net.  Many apologies!