Re: How Cohousing communities decide on new members
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 10:06:30 -0700 (PDT)
> On Apr 14, 2021, at 1:16 PM, Ann Zabaldo <zabaldo [at] earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> Regardless of FH laws I would be skeptical of trying to social engineer
> diversity.

Adding to what Ann said, remember that most members will come from friends and
friends of friends, or similar organizations — Unitarian Church, home schooling
groups, coop bulletin boards. So one key is to diversify your friends and
memberships.

I’ve been reading a number of books on anti-racism so I can’t remember which
book this example came from but I think it is a good one. Find an ambassador —
a person who is a friend or a friend of a friend who is also a member of an
organization whose members you would like to invite to join you. Have the
ambassador introduce you at the next meeting or cocktail party and do an
orientation.

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines
http://affordablecohousing.com
affordablecohousing [at] groups.io
To subscribe:
affordablecohousing+subscribe [at] groups.io