Re: Deaf members
From: Hafidha Sofia (hafidhaaogmail.com)
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 10:02:56 -0700 (PDT)
Can’t speak for your neighbor or fellow member but I will break down what I’ve
observed and what I’ve been told by my hard of hearing neighbors.  On Zoom:
There is far less “cross-talk.” During in-person meetings, people would
frequently hold side conversations that made it harder to hear the primary
conversation or presentation.
Late arrivals come in quieter, and there is less confusion or disruption to the
flow of the meeting.
There is less ambient / environmental noise, such as coffee makers, coughing,
children crying, chairs scraping the floor, people walking in and out.
Better adherence to “one mic” rule. People are far less likely to interrupt a
speaker on Zoom. And Zoom isn’t conducive to two people talking over each
other; because people know that they won’t be understood if someone else is
talking at the same time, they don’t even try it. In-person, people with louder
voices or more forceful projection were accustomed to being heard over others.
There is more consistency of volume when people speak. In Zoom, if a person
speaks too low, it means they can’t be heard by most listeners, so they will
adjust their volume in order to be heard. In person, the common experience of
hard of hearing folks was that speakers would NOT raise their volume or speak
more clearly at the request of hard of hearing folks.
More control of volume. On Zoom, individuals can tailor volume of their device
speakers or wear headphones to get sound just right.
I’m sure there are other things, that’s just off top of my head. For my
professional work I’m deeply invested in Accessibility in online gathering
spaces, so I am up for talking and learning about these things any/all the time.

Hafidha
Songaia Cohousing
Washington State, USA

Sent from my iPhone