Re: Deaf members (fire safety)
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 15:26:45 -0700 (PDT)
You may want to consider fire safety. Completely deaf residents will not be
able to hear a fire alarm. If there is a building-wide fire alarm system, the
horn/strobe(s) in the home can be replaced with a special model for deaf
people. As I recall, they have extremely bright flashing lights that will get
any waking person's attention. I believe they also include a vibrating/buzzing
device wired into the system that goes under the mattress to wake a sleeping
person. It's been a while since I dealt with it, so my memory is vague.
If this kind of system is necessary for a member, who pays for it? In my
experience, communities are happy to accommodate mobility issues but are not as
enthusiastic about other disabilities.
Katie Henry