Re: Process for non payment of dues
From: Kelly Bachman (happyvalleykellygmail.com)
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 07:30:17 -0700 (PDT)
We have a Delinquent Dues policy and a Hardship Fund.  We charge late fees
of the lessor of 10% or $20. When an account is two months or more past
due, we start charging interest at 12% and we ask the person to sign an
agreement for repayment. Late fees and interest cease as long as the
repayment agreement is followed. If the payment agreement doesn’t work out,
we contact the attorney.

Owners may apply to the Hardship Fund for up to 6 months of dues relief due
to circumstances creating a temporary financial hardship. Once granted,
they may not apply again for 5 years. The Hardship Fund receives donations
from members and in the beginning we had fundraisers for it.

We implemented both policies about 10 years ago after someone was turned
down for financing due to the number of owners with past due accounts.

Since implementing the policies, many late fees have been paid, the
Hardship Fund has been used 3 times, and a payment plan was needed once.

Kelly
Bellingham Cohousing, founded in 2000 with 33 units