Re: Affordable (Co)housing
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 04:43:59 -0700 (PDT)
“ How do they build equity? If they stay for many years do they eventually
own the unit?”

Yes. It’s regular ownership. They have a regular mortgage from a regular
bank. Every dollar they pay towards the principal builds their equity.  If
they get a 30 year mortgage, they will own the house outright in 30 years.

The only thing different about their ownership from a standard unit is a
restriction on who they can sell to and how much the can sell for. (And the
former is negotiable—if they are unable to find a qualified buyer within a
certain time frame, they can sell to anyone.)