Re: Affordable (Co)housing
From: R Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 05:52:06 -0700 (PDT)
I would offer a bit of input based on our Cornerstone experience:

At Cornerstone, Cambridge MA, we have four “affordable” units and 28
market-rate units.  Purchase and sale of affordable is municipally mandated and
controlled, at prices well below (one-half or less) market rate.  Officially,
these four units are known as “limited equity” units — meaning the purchaser
can realize a modest gain at time of resale, but cannot reap huge “profits”
from real estate appreciation.  So buying and residing in a limited equity unit
is financially better than renting (where all your rent money goes to the
landlord) … but not as good as investing in something that appreciates at
market rate.  Some think that the limited equity program is supposed to provide
a “starter home”, from which financially successful households can eventually
graduate to a better, market-rate unit.
The below-market price of the unit sale is initially subsidized by the
developer.  Which in our case means the 28 market-rate units, for which the
sales price of origin was set higher to include the subsidy.  One might think
that the cost of subsidy should be distributed more broadly across the general
public, but the Cambridge theory of “inclusionary zoning” is that developers
are (relatively) rich and competent, and can make their financial pro formas
work for inclusion of a few below-market units.
In Cambridge, which has a very strong real estate market, the average of
residential property prices tends to inflate at about 6% per year (or, appx 3%
relative to inflation).  Meanwhile, over the last decade, the DJIA has inflated
about 12% annually (or about 9% relative to inflation).   (Some think that the
DJIA is an important indicator of national financial health; others do not …)
Two of our affordable units continue in occupancy by the purchasers of origin,
selected by the City more than 20 years ago.  Two have turned over, at least
once.
By deed restrictions, the City controls the price of resale and the selection
of the buyer.  Cornerstone is not allowed, and does not seek, to “interfere”
with buyer selection — and both the City and Cornerstone are fully committed to
implementing “fair housing” laws that prohibit “discrimination" along defined
demographic attributes.  In addition, over the years, the City and Cornerstone
have developed a pretty good working relationship in the mutual hope of
matching municipally qualified buyers to the atypical characteristics of the
cohousing lifeway.
A personal comment based on this information:  Is it a financially “dumb” move
to buy into a limited equity unit, if a market-rate unit is (barely) within
reach?  The historical evidence suggests No.  In terms of household
wealth-building, it looks like toughing it out in a limited equity unit could
release cash for investment in stocks and mutual funds, which often offer far
higher returns.  This might explain why some households choose to remain in
limited equity units for a long time.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing