Re: Monthly assessments
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 94 13:25 CST
Ian Higginbottom asked:

>I would appreciate hearing from those who have already posted their monthly
>assessment figures (and from those who are yet to post them) the logic behind
>their decision to charge on a per person or per household basis.

Sharingwood chose figuring assessments  per household because it was
easiest. Just divide the costs by the number of units (17). As phase II
is developed and sold our assessments will drop because we will start
dividing the costs into a greater number. A couple of members own more
than one unit  and they have to pay those extra shares but that is
their choice to own more than one, and typically that extra cost has
been passed on to the buyer.   For example lot prices have increased
over the years because the assessments on those lots were figured in.
Those of us who bought lots early got the land at a cheaper price and
then incrementally paid the assessments as they came in.  Those who
bought lots later paid all those costs at once as part of their lot
price.  Since our lots are still selling well below the market rate for
property in our area, it has not been a problem and the late buyers
often have the advantage of bank financing which those of us who paid
incrementally did not.

 We subtract the property taxes and capital improvement from the rental
assessment so it is less than the regular assessments.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood