Re: Playgrounds
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 95 10:59:06 CST
Jerry Callen  JCALLEN [at] APTINC.COM  S: JCALLEN [at] WORLD.STD.COM
is the author of the message below but due
to a listserv problem it was posted by the COHOUSING-L sysop (Fred).
****************  FORWARDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS *********************

   At the end of four days of workshopping, the consensus of the seventy
   attendees was to stop building playgrounds---that they simply were
   little reservations for children and had nothing to do with play.

Th main point of the posting was not about playgrounds per se, but I
want to point out that a general statement that playgrounds are
useless should NOT be drawn from this study. As a parent of two
children in the Boston area, we visit several of the local playgrounds
regularly. The kids ask to visit them, and it's not unusual to bump
into other friends at the playground. Given our own very limited yard
space, the local playgrounds are a godsend.

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen [at] world.std.com

   "The best lack conviction, given some time to think,
    and the worst are full of passion without mercy."  -- Joni Mitchell