Fwd: Re: Serious Food Growing
From: Mmariner (Mmarineraol.com)
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 00:23:55 -0500
Another response attached to share to the list.  Hope you don't mind, Joe.
 The teacher in me couldn't help putting a couple more examples up on the
board!

Out here in the arid west, growing bluegrass all over the landscape takes a
huge amount of water, not to mention weed control chemicals, etc.

Here at the house I'm sharing there must be at least a half acre of bluegrass
that is rarely used for recreation or anything -- just a vast, infertile crop
to mow.

Having food stuff growing where there used to be lawn takes some getting used
to, I suppose.  I, for one, loved the looks of Winslow's edible landscape.
 More like walking out in a natural setting, except you could reach down (or
up) everyware and pluck something to eat!

Learning about permaculture can be consciousness raising -- it involves
taking earth stewardship way beyond recycling your newspapers and beer cans
and in a "path of least resistance" way that deeply appeals to me.

OK, Mike, enough preaching.  Just shut up!

=MM=
Boulder