Re: Design Review
From: psproefrock (psproefrockntsource.com)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 20:28:58 -0700 (MST)
Having worked, until fairly recently, for an architectural firm which
did architectural review for a couple of Traditional Neighborhood
Design (TND) communities (as well as being the authors of the
guidelines) I would like to say a couple things about design
guidelines.

  Firstly, I think that there are two separate sets of issues that are
getting intertwined here.  There are issues which pertain to original
construction, and then there are post-construction issues (such as
when a homowner wants to put on an addition).  Architectural
guidelines are really post-construction (or for latter phases of
construction if the community is being built in more than one
phase).  Making choices and setting constraints during the initial
design and construction is not really so much a matter of
architectural guidelines (unless everyone has a custom unit).

  Joani had a very good point about customization raising costs for
everyone.  The contractors can't get volume pricing (either for
materials or for labor) when there are too few units using any given
scheme.  Settling on a few basic packages and limiting the
variations on those is more economical.  How much a group wants
to trade off individuality for economy is a community decision.  If
you want everyone to have their own custom unit, with its own style
and character, you will end up paying for that, in professional fees
and in construction costs.  On the other hand, making every unit
exactly alike does not serve anyone well, and tends to produce a
monolithic and uninteresting appearance, too.  The community
needs to determine among themselves how much flexibilty they
want to have in the design of their buildings, and they must realize
that there are costs attached to these decisions.

  The communities we did design guidelines and design review for
were far from cookie-cutter in terms of style or construction.
Architectural guidelines need not be highly restrictive, and in my
opinion, the best guidelines are those which allow for a lot of
flexibility while seeking to protect the important issues.  For
example, our guidelines stated that side loaded garages were
preferable to garages that dominated the front elevation.  This was
to prevent (or at least reduce) the tendency of developments to look
like nothing more than a forest of garage doors.  If a design needed
a front-loaded garage (sometimes lot configuration, or a plan
someone really loved made a side-load difficult or impractical), then
the front of the house should be closer to the sidewalk than the
garage doors.

  Design guidelines should (ideally) serve the interest of the
community, and should only address issues that concern the
community.  They should not (in my opinion) be a stylistic
straitjacket that forces everyone to build exactly the same thing.

  Good guidelines should promote a community identity, but not at
the expense of individuality; after all, you don't live in my house,
and I don't live in yours.  But we do live in a community, and I think
that expressing the community nature of the project is important.

  Many universities have an overall design aesthetic that ties the
whole campus together.  In a college town, you can tell which are
the school's buildings, and which are the rest of the town.  That
doesn't mean that every dorm and classroom building looks exactly
alike.  But there are common elements (a pallete of materials,
perhaps a period architectural style, etc.) which help to identify the
community as a whole.  Looking at a cohousing community in
terms of a campus is not, I think, a bad metaphor for understanding
what architectural guidelines should do for a community.

  Some of these ideas can be applied to both initial-construction
and post-construction periods within a community.  But, what I
think is most important is that the design guidelines work to further
the ends of the community, and that that is done with minimal
impact on design elements which do not affect the community.

Philip Proefrock
psproefrock [at] ntsource.com
(not speaking for anyone other than myself)