Re: Cohousing failures
From: Judy Baxter (BAXTERepi.umn.edu)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:24:08 -0700 (MST)
Marya-
--
Contratulations.

You wrote:
<<However, one commissioner sat with a frown on her face the entire time,
saying she was worried that if the project fails, the township will get
stuck maintaining our community infrastructure.

I would like to know if there are any cases of cohousing communities that
have "failed" after move-in. Are there any other statistics on success
rates? And, is there any information on waiting lists for existing or
developing communities, etc., that would bolster our case?

If i understand you right, she is worried about a bankruptcy/mortgage  type
failure.  I haven't heard of any such in cohousing (is that right, all of you
out there?)

There was some discussion last august of
"Failure of cohousing as communties: call for community building", by Rob
Sandelin - check the archives.

The gist was that if the community part fails, in part due to possibly
financial reasons for being there rather than intent to be part of a community,
coho can turn into ordinary condo.  I assume your commissioner wouldn't care.

As for waiting lists, there was some stuff in the Marketing/Selling workshop at
the National Conference - certainly some groups have them.  I don't hve my notes
here.

Good Luck-

Judy

-- e-mail:      baxter [at] epi.umn.edu
15 homes - 7 new townhomes plus
        8 coop apartments       in the Mansion (a rehab Georgian building)
(built as a retirement home in 1924 -) which also serves as our Common House
Two (3 BR +) townhomes  for sale - see our web page
 web page: http://www.jimn.org/mococo/