Cohousing failures
From: Marya S. Tipton (sundoggburgtimes.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 20:29:35 -0700 (MST)
--
Hello, all,

We, at Hundredfold Farm, just presented our concept sketch to the township
planning commission, and we have been recommended to go before the board of
supervisors. This was a giant first hurdle! We really wowed 'em with slide
shows, overhead projectors and highly detailed scale model, presented by our
project manager, Robert Heaps of Heartbeat Cities. Other presentations were
given by our water/septic engineers, surveyor and the lawyer who will be
drawing up our homeowners association documents.

However, one commissioner sat with a frown on her face the entire time,
saying she was worried that if the project fails, the township will get
stuck maintaining our community infrastructure.

I would like to know if there are any cases of cohousing communities that
have "failed" after move-in. Are there any other statistics on success
rates? And, is there any information on waiting lists for existing or
developing communities, etc., that would bolster our case?

I would greatly appreciate any information on this.

P.S. The article w/photo about our presentation can be seen at Gettysburg
Times online edition: http://www.gburgtimes.com/news/housing_203.shtml

Marya Tipton
Hundredfold Farm
Orrtanna, PA