Re: coffee shop community??
From: Kelly Green (kellydingonline.com)
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 18:42:22 -0600 (MDT)
I don't yet live in cohousing, so I need to visit a bookstore much more
often than I need to buy books ... today I picked up a book called "The
Great Good Place:  Cafes, Coffee Shops, Bookstores, Bars, Hair Salons and
Other Hangouts at the Heart of a Community."

>From the back:

"Third places," or "great good places," are the many public places where
people can gather, put aside the concerns of home and work (their first and
second places), and hang out simply for the pleasures of good company and
lively conversation.  They are the heart of a community's social vitality
and the grassroots of a democracy. Author Ray Oldenburg portrays, probes,
and promotes these great good places--coffee houses, cafes, bookstores, hair
salons, bars, bistros, and many others both past and present--and offers a
vision for their revitalization."

Kelly