Fun with Cohousers
From: DCS (cdmemployees.org)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:15:19 -0600 (MDT)
I think whether cohousing is fun, not just chock full of meetings,
depends in large part on the individuals who move in to the
neighborhood. If you get even just 2 or 3 people who love to organize
events, you are going to have a great time, you are going to find
yourself getting involved in ways you never dreamed of. (We are lucky at
EC in that we have lots of people who are intrepid party throwers and
partygoers.) And the little dinners and get togethers that pop-up
spontaneously make my life worth living. I love those. Even work days
can be a party with the right kind of attitude behind them.

The key is that since you get to know everybody pretty well, you remove
the awkwardness of socializing. It's more like having family get
togethers, family reunions, since we all already have this big thing in
common (the neighborhood) and we are all so vested in it. Also, there's
always somebody willing to help out, and usually a pool of talents to
draw on.

One of my favorite things here is the Sock Hop one of neighbors does for
the kids. She plans it, but I always feel welcome to help out, and I
always stay for the dance, and in the end, it's usually the kids running
around having a great time playing while adults end up dancing.

I think Cohousing is a lot of work, lots of details that have to be
taken care of (cleaning rotations, cooking rotations, work days,
building days, business meetings). The fun is what makes it worth it.

Christine Della Maggiora
Eno Commons Cohousing
Durham NC