CoHousing at Oregon Country Fair, Burning Man
From: Raines Cohen (coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:54:12 -0600 (MDT)
For the first time last weekend, I visited the Oregon Country Fair, in
Eugene. It's the 31st year for this crafts fair/vaudeville/arts/music
fest, which features hundreds of vendors and a large "community" section,
including, among other things, booths related to alternative living
setups. "Hmmm," I thought. "I wonder if I could do a CoHousing booth
there next year?"

No sooner do I enter the Community Center, however, then I see a great
big "Come learn about CoHousing" banner. It turns out there's already a
presence there, thanks to Amy Todd of Trillium Hollow of Portland, along
with folks from Cascadia Commons.

There I found a couple of CoHousing books, lots of literature from the
groups (but none from the TCN... something to work on for next year), and
a great big homemade (on a shower curtain, I later learned) banner:
"CoHousing: great for kids and other living things", with the TCN website
address. There was a sign-in book for people interested in CoHo, and
people there at times to answer questions and spread the good word.

I met up with Amy later on, and arranged to borrow the banner for an
upcoming event at Swan's Market. We also talked about the upcoming
Burning Man event near Gerlach, Nevada (population: not very many), in
which a portion of the Black Rock Desert is transformed into Black Rock
City, Nevada's 5th largest city (population: 30,000+), for the week
surrounding Labor Day, known for its "no spectators/no vending" policy,
gift/barter culture, and participatory arts and ceremony. I went last
year, traveling and camping with the Green Tortoise folks in a CoHo-ish
fashion, with private tents and common meals, prepared by the group. Amy
was thinking of going for the first time this year, but didn't have an
affiliation with a particular camp.

The thought occurred at once: Hey, we could put together a CoHousing Camp
at Burning Man! It could provide info about CoHousing, and an example by
living in a temporary community with Common Meals. We could connect to
share experiences in forming or living in our communities, techniques for
doing better, and a CoHo-ish camp design: vehicles at the
perimeter/offside, living/common space within.

Plan B: Join in with another camp to take advantage of their prime
location, existing affiliation, similar focus, or economies of scale.

Or, plan C: At least connect together CoHo-interested people who are
going to BM with other camps so they can try to find each other there.

So, who's interested? Write me at burning-coho [at] raines.com (not the CoHo
list, please) and I'll put together an email list of people planning on
going or who want to participate (and summarize our plans for the list to
see if others want to join in afterwards). Note that while ticket prices
have gone up over time (and none will be sold at the door), if you buy
through Green Tortoise you can get not only a very comfortable/fun ride
to the site, but lower prices than otherwise available (and you can help
cut down on the vehicle-induced 'suburban sprawl' starting to affect
Black Rock City).

If you know a particular Burning Man attendee in your community who's not
on CoHo-L, please pass the word along. Thanks!

Raines

P.S. Relevant URL's:

Oregon Country Fair
http://www.oregoncountryfair.org/

Burning Man
http://www.burningman.com/

Green Tortoise
http://www.greentortoise.com/

The Cohousing Network
http://www.cohousing.org/

Raines Cohen <coho-L [at] raines.com> <http://www.swansway.com/>
Finally living in community -- worth the wait!

  Member, Old Oakland [CA] Cohousing at Swan's Market
Where common meals are underway, and we're planning an Open House.

  Member, East Bay Cohousing [no site yet] <http://www.ebcoho.org/>
Which is actively searching for sites in the Berkeley/Oakland area.