Re: refrigerators redux
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:29:01 -0700 (MST)
In a message dated 11/25/01 9:00:29 PM, tamgoddess [at] home.com writes:

<< But it does bring up a point, doesn't it? I think it would behoove groups
have a kitchen designer help them when it gets to that point in the process.
I think there is a real lack of knowledge about kitchen design in cohousing
homes, from what I've heard over the years. We have special needs, since our
kitchens tend to be more compact than regular homes. We, too have an oven
door/dishwasher problem, amongst many other problems in the kitchens, which
could have been averted with better planning.

Our architect got several awards for the design of this place, but the
kitchens could be lots better. I think this being a traditional female
territory, they just don't really care, architecture still being a
male-dominated profession. >>

First, I agree with you that kitchen designers generally do a better job than
architects but, of course, that's their specialty.  My sister had a
contractor design a renovation of her kitchen, and now they can't open some
of the drawers.  Our architects did a nice job with the layout of the
kitchens, but I would have liked a larger space for our refrigerator.  The
door doesn't open fully (although it opens enough) and we only have enough
space for the narrowest regular sized model.  We aren't able to fit in, for
example, a refrigeratopr with the water and ice that come out the front.  We
didn't care about this detail, but someone else might.

I disagree, however, that it's a male/female thing.  It's mostly a matter of
attention to detail.  Architects of both genders know that kitchens are one
of the most-used rooms and, if they are any good, will pay attention to the
details.  That said, when working with a new design, a few details can slip
by.  Our architects were both women and missed the above, however fine,
detail.  Plus, there are plenty of men cooking at home and in restaurants.
It may have been traditional for most of us growing up for women to be the
family cooks, but it was also traditional for men to be the cooks in
restaurants.  Both of these traditions have changed considerably.  I would
guess that it's even less of an issue in cohousing.

Now I'm gonna sit back and watch the male/female gender discussion take
flight....

Roger
Pathways Cohousing
Northampton, MA