Cohousing ... in New York City -- Chet Hazan
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 07:52:01 -0700 (MST)
On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Chet Hazan Nycguy667 [at] aol.com wrote (Fred posted):

> I am a NYC resident and was wondering whether there are any cohousing
> communities in New York City.  If anyone has any information I'd
> appreciate hearing about it.  Thanks in advance.
> Chet Hazan

I wrote to Michael Sklaroff msklaroff [at] ulster.net who lives at Cantine's
Island Cohousing in Saugerties, NY which is 100 miles north of NYC
and 40 miles south of Albany.  It's on the Esopus Creek, about 1/2 mile
from where it enters the Hudson.  This gives sailing access to the world!
Before helping start the community and moving there Michael lived in NYC.

He wrote:
> there was a Brooklyn group that, from what I heard, recently
> disbanded.  Years ago there was something happening in Manhattan, but that,
> too, dissolved.
> I don't think there's anything going on cohousing-wise there right now.
>
> We'd have a waiting list a mile long if we were within commuting distance of
> the city.  Many would love to do it, but where are they going to work?
> I've been hoping to snag telecommuters for some time, but so far, not
> much luck.
> ... someone could run off to the city for a day or two without much
> difficulty, and then be back in time for an evening swim in the creek.

Another tack - Swedish model could work in NYC

Another thought I (Fred) had is that if I wanted to build in NYC,
I'd consider the Swedish model - "kollektivhus" which is basically an
apartment building with the first floor and basement being common space.
The typical US / Danish townhouse-like layout may require more land
than is available / affordable in many areas of NYC.

Cambridge Cohousing's (Mass. US) main building is similar
(they also have some townhouses and "flats".)

BO-90 cohousing in Copenhagen is a good example also.
See links via my Urban Cohousing page:
http://freenet.msp.mn.us/~fholson/cohousing/urban/

Fred

--
1/29/02 The "Crooked" E: How true it is!  (Enron T - shirt)
More info:   http://www.mtn.org/~fholson/sig-detail.htm