CC&Rs in California
From: Mccourt, Eileen (eileen.mccourtcacheflow.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:40:01 -0700 (MST)
from Eileen McCourt
Oak Creek Commons
Cohousing in Paso Robles, CA

I have searched the archives for references on CC&Rs, but mostly there are
conversations about the the types of issues in various CC&Rs vs. operating
guidelines for groups, and no real examples of CC&R documents that I can
find.

We are just ready to complete our CC&R documents, and need to have examples
of actual language used in CC&R documents in Calfornia regarding decison
making models in cohousing.  We do have a copy of the CC&R docs for Tierra
Nueva.  Are there any other cohousing groups in Calfornia who would be
willing to share the clauses in their CC&Rs that relate specifically to
memberhsip (what constitutes membership, does participation influence
membership, is it defined by household or by individual) and how that
relates to decision making authority?  I understand the argument that the
CC&Rs should be vanilla, and consensus addressed in the operations guide
(which we are calling "Living Here Guide").  But, we also want to avoid any
miscommunication or legal problems that can develop later if a relationship
with a member household goes sour, and they revert to legal remedies.  We
don't want the CC&Rs to limit our options for decsion making in a consensus
model.

Our project is condominiums, with airspace condos defined as paint to paint
in 31 units, and lot lines in 5 of the "units".  There will be a complex
budget for the HOA, since the exterior and parking of the paint to paint
condos will be the responsiblity of the HOA, but the exteriors and parking
in the lots will be the responsibilty of the homeowner.  This could lead to
disagreements around the budget in particular.

Thanks for your help.

--eileen