Re: Rules for kids at common dinners
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:14:00 -0700 (MST)
In a message dated 3/27/02 2:21:55 PM, tamgoddess [at] attbi.com writes:

<< No, and I have to say, I disagree with Joani about the meal time. Many of
our youngsters like to play after dinner, and if it starts at 7, it's too
late for those with early bedtimes. We have dinner at 6, and it's worked out
well for us. This is a good illustration of the fact that every community is
different-we have more children than the communities that Joani has lived
in. >>

Unfortunately (for me), it also works better at Pathways to have meals at 6
pm.  We have a lot of children (over 30) and many of the parents get their
children in bed right after supper.  Some parents would even like it earlier,
at 5:30.  I say unfortunately for me, because 3 days a week I'm at my office
until 7 pm, so I miss a lot of meals.  We have talked about having meals at
different times (eg, a few at 5:30 and a few at 7) but since we also stagger
which days of the week we have meals on, it could get real confusing real
quickly.

As for behaviour, we don't allow the kids to run in the great room, but it's
difficult to stop some of the running around in the halls, even though we
discourage it.  This is a problem because the little ones can get knocked
down when they bigger ones get too rambunctious.  Also, we have pretty heavy
doors- we don't want kids getting hit by one or getting a hand stuck in one.
It's better when they can run around outside.

The same goes for noise- No yelling or loud voices in the great room, but it
gets harder to control outside the great room.

    Roger Berman
    Pathways
    Northampton, MA