RE: Rules for kids at common dinners
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:44:01 -0700 (MST)
I also would find it hard to imagine a community with lots of kids serving
dinner at 7pm. But the number of kids, and thus parents, will determine many
things about the community. If there are few children in a community, then
childrens amenities tend to be somewhat more sparse than if there are more.
At Sharingwood, the 36 kids are a considerable force in the community, both
in presence and in the kinds of things we do. Sometimes there are more kid
oriented things than adult oriented activities.

What few rules we have about kids at dinners seldom seem to stick. The
adults try to impose rules and they last as long as their is an adult
willing to remind the kids, over and over about it. The kids have little
interest in making rules beyond playground etiquette, and the younger ones
have no interest in even that.

For awhile we had an adult mentor on the kid pit (our kids room is way too
small, and a half level below the main floor). But that didn't last either
because after one or two shifts people stopped signing up for it.

Noise and large amounts of thrown away food are two things I personally find
most disagreeable about community meals.

Rob Sandelin

Rob Sandelin

---