Re: Marketing Survey
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:35:01 -0600 (MDT)
on 10/10/2002 10:56 AM, Peg Blum at pegb [at] cambridgecohousing.org wrote:

> Our most successful strategy was working with a reporter at the Boston Globe
> which led to a front page article in the Saturday Real Estate section,
> showing the architect's rendering of the site plan.  By mistake, the article
> gave the time and place of an Introductory Meeting for prospective members,
> being held on the following day.  (Usually, we expected people to call a
> membership committee member for meeting info.)  An overflow crowd appeared,
> meeting was moved to a larger space and we still had people standing
> outside, so hastily scheduled another meeting for them 3 days later.  Some
> of the families who live here now remember being part of that overflow
> crowd!

This kind of publicity can certainly help but it doesn't always. In Florida
we had lots of it and got nothing but a lot of questions. No prospects.
Mostly real estate agents. But it is free and makes everyone feel good --
but _don't hire_ a publicity agent to get it for you. Reporters will be
interested without a PR person pushing.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org