Re: Development Financial Structure/David Mandel read this...
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddessattbi.com)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:54:01 -0700 (MST)
I'm hoping David will reply to this, since I wasn't big on the financial end
before move-in.

But it's doable. We had everything built and paid for without having
everyone putting in 5 grand at the third meeting. Although I think I
actually did!

Some of the members put in far more than the minimum amount, and that gave
the group more flexibility. I think some people paid in installments. The
membership was tiered according to your investment, so that the people who
put in more got money back on their investment at a higher rate, and were
paid back first (I think). We also had financing from the city to help the
low and moderate income buyers, so they weren't all having to come up with
the entire down-payment. This was in the form of silent second mortgages
from the HRA. No payments until you refinance, sell, or ten years, whichever
happens first, but interest accrues, and you have to pay back increased
value of the house proportional to the loan.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing