Cohousing Principles and the Contradictions of Practice
From: Greg Dunn (MyListsgregdunn.com)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:07:00 -0700 (MST)
I've recently run afoul of the very squishy guidelines for what
constitutes on- and off-topic discussion on this list server, as
enforced by the list moderator, Fred Olson.  I asked Fred for
clarification of those guidelines and he replied, and I quote, "Hmmm, if
it is about cohousing it is on topic."  That, to me, did not seem like a
serious response, particularly given the breadth of discussions that
take place here.  In a subsequent message he said "you're right I dont
have a well developed definition of what is on-topic, nothing extensive
written down - some edges are quite gray."  But again he made no further
attempt to clarify.  He subsequently suppressed a message of mine which
I felt was very much appropo to the topic of discrimination that has
been a primary theme for the past few weeks.

I can appreciate that Fred volunteers his time to run this list, and has
been doing so consistently for many years, and in so doing has helped
many people to get connected to cohousing.  Nevertheless, precisely
*because* this list is the front-line of exploration of cohousing for
many people, including me, it seems to me that it should be managed
according to the principles espoused by the organization it represents.
To quote from the "What is Cohousing?" article on The Cohousing
Network's web site:  "If your community has a leader that sets policy or
establishes standards unilaterally, it is not cohousing."  By that
definition, it seems to me, this list server itself is "off-topic".

I'd like to know how the rest of you feel about the issue of censorship
of this list. Specifically:

1. Do you feel it's necessary or appropriate to have one person with
absolute power to perform it?
2. Do you feel it appropriate that he should do so without providing any
formal statement of the standards on which this censorship is based?
3. If you feel there should be formal standards, how do you feel those
standards should be created?

I don't mean to kick up a fuss, but this list hasn't been working for me
lately. I almost simply unsubscribed a few minutes ago, but then read
Sheila Braun's posting about discrimination, which somehow made me feel
I ought to at least run this up the flagpole before I walk away.  Thank
you for your consideration.

Greg Dunn