Monoculture
From: sbraun (sbraungmavt.net)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:54:01 -0700 (MST)
Racheli wrote: "Because I spent part of my childhood in a society which
attempted to create "monoculture" (the Israeli kibbutz in the 50's)...."

I should also confess to the same thing. I was brought up Mennonite. I
loved it...and it had its problems. I would like to duplicate my
childhood without the monotony of ideas that squeezes out (covertly)
those who are different.

Sheila

Children
> >might be a big part of that person's life--just not someone that the
> >person wants to live at close quarters constantly.
>
> I see what you're saying, but just let me tell you that in many
cultures
> the possibility of living without kids around wouldn't even occur to
> anyone - kids are such an integral part of life...   (the same goes
for
> other age groups).  My point is that the wish  to be away is based on
> whole lot of cultural assumptions that are fairly unique to this
society
> (but which are probably fast spreading). While I understand the
> convenience, I'm afraid that there are deeper, not very positive,
> implications.
>

> >I don't believe it's defensible to bar people from cohousing for many
> >reasons, but children do imply a particular living environment that,
> >frankly, is irritating to some (not me, I have six--not all
biological).
> >Well, I would want my community to have a fair population of
> >children--others might not.  To me, diversity does not mean that we
can't
> >choose our living environment in terms of noise, space allocation,
safety
> >considerations, responsibility, and all the other burdens that
children
> >bring.
>
> I thought I said that if people see kids as burden, then I can
understand
> why they'd like to go elsewhere, and I support them. [Which isn't the
same
> as agreeing with their feelings as such].
>
> I hope I've clarified, at least in some small way, what I
> actually mean :)
>
> racheli [at] sonoracohousing.com
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:;Sheila Braun
FN:Sheila Braun
ORG:Champlain Valley Cohousing
TITLE:Project Coordinator
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(802) 425-5030
TEL;HOME;VOICE:(802) 425-7121
TEL;CELL;VOICE:(802) 238-2667
TEL;WORK;FAX:(802) 425-5033
ADR;WORK:;;773 Greenbush Road;Charlotte;VT;05445;United States of America
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:773 Greenbush Road=0D=0ACharlotte, VT
05445=0D=0AUnited States of America
URL;WORK:http://www.champlainvalleycohousing.org
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:sbraun [at] gmavt.net
REV:20030113T001809Z
END:VCARD