RE: Discrimination (for any reason)
From: racheli (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:31:00 -0700 (MST)
Sheila,
I looked into it at some point, because there was a woman
who wanted to join our group who was obviously not fit
to live on her own.  We wondered whether to not let her
join could be seen as discrimination.  That's when I found
out that we need to uphold certain standards because
of how the project was financed.

If you look in the intentional communities directory, you'll see that
there are communities which are just for gay people; some lesbian
communities, some with a religious base of some kind or another, some
environmentally oriented, etc.
Many communities, especially ones which operate by consensus, hand-pick
new members (usually after a trial period, but some probably aren't
accepted to begin with).

There is a small intentional community in Tucson which I've
been familiar with since its inception - they never screened
members, and as a result they never succeeded to establish
themselves as a stable, healthy place.  (Since they all live in  one
house, the necessity for compatibility is much stronger).

There is another community (of sorts) near Tucson where
only women are allowed (to rent, or build houses), and I know of others.

I guess where I differ from you is on the point of whether not wanting to
live near "everyone" necessarily consists of discrimination, or
necessarily indicates that I'm intolerant or prejudiced: I think that it
depends, perhaps, on what kind of traits one rejects: If I refuse to live
near anyone with a dark skin, then this is obviously objectionable,
because I'm assuming that all people with dark skin are alike (and are
alike in an objectionable way) - it means I'm  generalizing and
"essentializing" (I'm not sure here, I'm kind of trying to find my way).
On the other hand, not wanting to live with certain people because their
philosophical outlook predisposes them to reject values which are
essential for me, is that the same?  (example: fundamentalists of every
ilk).
A facilitator who came and worked with us last weekend, said
that in a sense we are all "married" to each other.  Should I be open to
"marrying" anyone? - Is being willing to "marry" certain people and not
others entails "Discriminating" in an objectionable sense?

Still pondering,
R.