Re: Fifty Plus Cohousing
From: Raines Cohen (rc2-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:09:01 -0700 (MST)
Since people are bringing up dictionary definitions of "hostile" and
whatnot on this thread, I thought it might be informative to consider the
(American Heritage) dictionary definition of cohousing, especially as it
relates to relating to kids in community:

http://www.bartleby.com/61/44/C0464450.html

>NOUN:  A living arrangement that combines private living quarters with
>common dining and activity areas in a community whose residents share in
>tasks such as childcare.

Several coho activists I know are quite critical of this definition,
given that childcare is not a primary focus of many communities.

Raines

Raines Cohen <my initials,2,dash,coho,dash,L at my first name .com>

  Member, Swan's Market Coho [Oakland, CA] <http://www.swansway.com/>
Hanging out in the Common House.

  Member, Berkeley [CA] Cohousing (moving by bicycle!)
Where I learned a lot about the community history by participating in an
ad hoc budget meeting.

  Facilitator, East Bay Cohousing [on hiatus] <http://www.ebcoho.org/>
Chasing a rumor of a unit for sale at an East Bay coho community.

  Boardmember, The Cohousing Network <http://www.cohousing.org/>
Now accepting online registrations for the National Coho Conf, Jun 19-22!