Meat etc.
From: Sara Bogdanove (sjbasomi.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:41:09 -0600 (MDT)

This talk of how to cook for the various dietary restrictions got me
thinking. Is there a cookbook designed for cohousing communities? i have seen cookbooks that tell you how to cook for lots of people, but how about one that tells you how to make one meal meet various needs and desires for instance. i know a couple of people in my community can make a vegan, meat, wheat free, dairy free and a kids meal out of one recipe. It cuts down on
work.

if there is no such book perhaps it's time to start collecting recipes to
make one.
Elaine

I've been transitioning to an alkalarian lifestyle -- sometimes more faithfully
than at other times. This is a base of 70-80% alkaline foods and 20-30%
mildly acidic foods. Alkaline foods are raw veggies and low sugar fruits
(e.g. lemons, limes, avocados, tomatoes, cucumbers). The mildly acidic
foods can include vegan side dishes such as grains, vegetable soups,
steamed vegetables,  hummus, nut butters (almond better than peanut),
seeds, legumes, falafel (baked, not fried). Alkalarians occasionally eat fish for the omega 3s, but fish is considered acidic as are meats, sugar,
and dairy.

A good salad with lots of variety plus a vegan side dish would work well
as a meal for vegans, alkalarians, macribiotics, and vegetarians. A meat
&/or cheese dish could be added for the omnivores.

Some good books for recipes are:

        The Ph Miracle by Robert O. Young and Shelly Young.
                Explains Alkalarian lifestyle and has recipes.
        Back to the House of Health (Cookbook) by Shelly Young.

        There are also some recipes on www.thephmiracle.us
        (click recipes).

This is a sort of layered approach where you start with an alkalarian/
vegan/macrobiotic base and then can add things for less restrictive
eaters. Should be no need to make a separate vegetarian lasagna
or enchalada dish which isn't that healthy for anyone.

Our group is still in the forming stage, and so we haven't started having
common meals yet. But I'd be interested in knowing if groups who have
dealt with these issues think this approach would be too restrictive.

Also, I must disclose that I am a distributor for Innerlight which sells
products that are alkalizing. I won't pitch them here, but feel free to
write me if you are interested in learning more.