Re: Food choices, restrictions and participation?
From: whitney beers (whitneybeersearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:12:09 -0600 (MDT)
We cook pretty regularly here for 15 - 30 people.  We have an eggplant allergy,
2 vegetarians, a couple of children, and a lactose intolerant.  The regular
makeup of any dinner-party type meal usually means that there are some veggie
dishes and only the occasional eggplant... And if whatever we're making doesn't
work for someone...well, a good natured bunch of eaters can generally find
SOMETHING they like, and those on quite restrictive diets are very generous
about providing for themselves in the event their diets are quite restrictive.
We would have to be not only cooks, but also scientists and politicians to
please everyone all of the time.

And about the kids - we have never prepared special foods for them unless they
are eating-with-their-fingers young.  The result is a group of 8-14 year olds
with quite sophisticated palates!  It's such a pleasure to have a young girl
ask if there will be plantains in the crepes (she loves them), or what kind of
cheese should she use in the salad!

Whitney Beers
Brindledorf
Silver Spring, MD