Re: feeling shame/guilt
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:31:08 -0600 (MDT)
Liz wrote (in part):

>I'm not sure why you've brought this whole guilt/shame angle into the
>conversation at all, Racheli. I feel that people are bringing a lot of
>cultural baggage into this discussion that is unnecessarily demeaning
>about poor people. I know of nobody in my community who is ashamed of
>being poorer than anyone else here.

Liz, first of all, I just brought it as a theoretical possiblity.  I
didn't say that I know people who feel that way, I was saying that this
is, on the conceptual level, a possibility.

[On a personal note: I know, BTW, what it is to be "poor" (compared to
others who have more).  As a growing child and teen ager, I DID feel
embarassment about this.  Ideally, I shouldn't have, but I did.   So, when
I bring this as a possibility, it's somewhat out of my own past
experience].

R.