Re: Religious Practices in Cohousing/NVC
From: Raines Cohen (rc2-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:29:06 -0600 (MDT)
On 9/27/03 2:07 PM, Becky Schaller <bschaller [at] theriver.com> wrote:

>The observation I heard was that it looked like a cohousing event was
>scheduled on THE major Jewish holdiay.

Perhaps this is a good opportunity to model in NVC what (if anything) you
do when you believe that the observation was in error or doesn't reflect
reality (i.e. it came out that neither event in question actually did
conflict with the holiday) ... do you continue to process the observation
and the reactions to it because the reactions are genuine and what's
important regardless of whether the underlying situation is actually an
issue... or do you go back to the first-to-react and let them know that
they don't need to worry, the perception was in error so the underlying
problem doesn't exist?

A secondary question is modeling for online discussion via this primitive
tool known as an e-mail list... it's informative to see the discussion
that resulted on this thread, but alarming to see the continued reactions
quoting the original "problem" when the problem was found not to be what
it was originally seen as.

Also, a note on this particular discussion, echoing something I've seen
on Coho-L before... we start by talking about an event ABOUT cohousing
for people not necessarily in a community... and people respond as though
it were an event IN the community FOR people in the community, which is
an entirely different kettle of fish (although certainly sharing some
principles in common).

Raines

Raines Cohen <my initials,2,dash,coho,dash,L at my first name .com>

  Member, Swan's Market Coho [Oakland, CA] <http://www.swansway.com/>
Getting an assessment today of suitability for solar.

  Secretary, Berkeley [CA] Cohousing
Where the shed committee met this morning and is converging on a proposal.

  Pass-the-baton-guy, East Bay Cohousing <http://www.ebcoho.org/>
Recommending that members go to the seminar in Davis on Sat., Oct 4 (NOT
Yom Kippur).

  Boardmember, Coho/US <http://www.cohousing.org/>
Sponsoring a tour of Bay Area cohousing communities on Sat, Oct. 11.