house materials: gutters, snowstops, doorknobs...
From: HeidiNYS (HeidiNYSaol.com)
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 07:46:37 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Folks,

We finally moved into our second house here at Cantines Island.

I've never before been in a situation that needed gutters [erosion is a very
real factor on this site] and could use advice.
Gutters/snowstops will be quite pricey: two estimates for different
configurations from different rec'd contractors were each around $2,000.
So would appreciate some input.

Whaddya know about gutters??  one guy strongly recomends covered gutters, [one
side of house in treetops... and roofline, due to land dip, on a narrow strip
of yard, very far from ground..].
\the comopetition says they are just as much trouble, maybe more... of leaves
get in, have to remove covers...
so, coho cohorts, weigh in!
Also, we have a metal roof, and it's wonderful.  Beautiful burgundy roof.  I
really only want snowstops on side with deck...  but they both say snow rolling
down could tear off gutterts.  One wont guarantee gutters unless we do
snowstops on entire roof [thus the expense... but hey, maybe we need to do it.]

One more thing... completely different.  Yes we have no doorknobs.   Amazing
how much Imiss doorknobs!
Long builder story.* Anyway, anyone have experience good or bad with places to
order reproduction glass doorknobs??
None to be had off the shelf anywhere hereabouts.

thanks, Ruth, Cantines Island, Saugerties,NY

* [I have beautiful olde ones, glass. From old doors I bought for house...;
anyone need doors?  Builder wanted pre-hung, and it would be too big a battle
with him.   He ordered doors drilled for modern ones: much bigger diameter
holes.  Forget abt his taking responsibility.  Tried escutcheons which do kind
of almost make them fit, but not really: Screws really need wood to grab into.]