Re: Commonhouse tables....metal/wood/round/rectangle?
From: mark harfenist (markbellinghamcohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:28:43 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Kelly,

Sounds like you need to enlist your experienced woodworkers if you've not already done so. The fact is, you can make whatever sort of tables you want, of whatever materials you're willing to pay for. For example, cabinet plywoods come in a variety of species and cuts; a plywood top can be almost indistinguishable from sold wood at greatly reduced price, weight and ecological cost. There are also endless variations on finishes; I suggested the old standard, three coats of alkyd urethane, because it's easy, durable and relatively uncontroversial, but others will argue for alternatives. I don't care for the look of stains, but here again tastes differ. Etc.

In the end, it's likely that if you're constructing the tables yourselves, you'll end up constructing whatever your members are willing to commit to working on. To me, this suggests that you concentrate on getting them involved and committed early, turning over as much responsibility as possible. Note that this runs contrary to the natural inclinations of those involved in early, centralized planning of unbuilt cohousing communities. If, on the other hand, you're going to buy manufactured tables, you'll probably want to start by surveying what's commercially available.

Hope that helps.

Mark

(Bellingham Cohousing)