Re: Commonhouse tables....metal/wood/round/rectangle?
From: Mac Thomson (macheartwoodcohousing.com)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 06:53:16 -0700 (PDT)
We have a combination of square, rectangular, and round wooden tables that are very attractive and durable, but don't fold up. The square and rectangular tables can be pushed together to create bigger tables. Before our common house team bought the tables, they wrestled with all the same questions that you're wrestling with.

I think our tables have worked very well. I was skeptical of getting round tables because of not being able to combine them, but it's been nice to have a couple of them. Sitting at a round table is a different feeling.

Our dining room is big enough so that it's almost never a problem to push the tables and chairs up against walls to create space for yoga, dancing, etc. At one particularly big dance recently, we carried the tables outside to the adjacent covered terrace to create enough room in the dining room.

We have high hanging lights that light up an area, rather than a specific table. Our dining room gets used in so many different configurations for different activities, it's hard to imagine having lighting designed for a specific single purpose (lighting up one specific table). Our tables are hardly ever in the same configuration from one dinner to the next.

Good luck with you new community!

Cheers,
Mac

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
     - Mary  Oliver