one year of experience many times over? or many years of experience?
From: Robert Moskowitz (robertmknowledgetree.com)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 19:01:02 -0700 (PDT)
A close friend of mine taught me the lesson that just spending lots of time doing a thing doesn't get you many years of experience. If you don't record what you did right and wrong, and what you could have done better, and if you don't learn from all this, you're just having one year of experience many times over.

Why doesn't someone find a way to record all these gems of hard-earned experience and codify them in some kind of book, database, list, or whatever so that the next group who decides to go into a cohousing project doesn't have to make all the same mistakes and rethink all the same issues and learn from all the same bitter experiences?

Is there staff for this at cohousing.org? Do I hear a volunteer?

As a beginning, I'd like to solicit everyone on this list to send me an email with all the hard-won lessons you've learned. If you've got a lot to impart, you needn't do it all in one email (as some will get short shrift). Do one a day, or one a week, or one a month, until you've shared everything you've learned. As a favor, may I suggest that you keep your theoretical opinions and ideological wishes to yourself. Please focus on actual experiences your group actually had, and impart what actually happened, why, and what might have been done differently. I'll keep all this and ultimately I'll pass them along to whoever is going to codify them (unless I pull a Cheney and find myself to be the most qualified person for that responsibility, in which case I'll just do it myself).

Thanks so much for sharing what you have learned, so the rest of us can benefit from your many years of experience.

Robert