Contribute to cooking common meals
From: Chris ScottHanson (chriscohousingresources.com)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 07:24:49 -0800 (PST)
Tree, and all cohousers...

In my opinion this is not necessary. "Ideal" perhaps. Cool when it works out. Wonderful for some, and especially for some smaller communities.

My suggestion is that meals be considered voluntary. If "contribute to cooking common meals" is construed to mean cooking AND cleaning, and maintenance, and shopping, and bookkeeping for same, then I agree that choosing to participate in meals means choosing to contribute to the meal system.

If you have grass and it needs to be mown, you don't want everyone to participate in mowing the grass. Same for boiler maintenance, or gutter repair. Why should meals be any different? Why not let the great cooks cook most of the meals, and repair gutters, provide daycare, read to their toddler, or do the bookkeeping for them.

The cool thing about cooperation, is cooperation. Not everyone has to do everything. Everyone can do more of what they enjoy doing, and less of what they aren't so inclined to do.

Just my opinion.

Chris