50+ and affordable - money
From: Marganne (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 12:42:50 -0700 (PDT)
At 10:07 AM -0400 6/28/07, Ruthpoet [at] aol.com wrote:
I'm new to the list, but was interested by this topic. My partner and I are 47 and 45, no kids. So the host of new elder-cohousing projects happening out there are probably 15 years premature for us, but the majority of other
co-housing seems to be focused on raising kids, which also doesn't fit for us.

Absolutely! I'm not ready to throw in the proverbial towel yet, even to the wonderful new elder-cohousing projects. Maybe ... Someday ... I vacillate between seeking people like myself (50+, no children, single) to wanting the advantages of a multi-generation project. Realistically, since I wasn't raised with siblings or around children, adapting to a project filled with young families could be a challenge.

(Also, we are lesbians, and a lot of communities seem to be designed with a very hetero focus, though "open to" others. Then there are the communities that are exclusively LGBT. We'd prefer more like a half and half mix. Anyone else like us out there?)

My hand is up. The sexuality, political persuasion, color, religious beliefs of someone isn't as important as finding people who share my goals.

I'm wondering though, Marganne, why the aversion to having a  mortgage? Not
expecting an answer - your way of managing money is your own business - but it struck me as interesting.

One of the things I liked about the Caer Coburn project in Vermont was it's members can build their own houses their own way, giving them control over costs. This fits a variety of incomes.

Mortgages are an entirely different thing. I live on a fixed income and but don't qualify for public housing or HUD homes, etc. If I'm going to spend less than $100,000 for a home less than 1,000 square feet, paying up front is an advantage. If I can do this, I can avoid trying to get a loan for such a relatively small amount from places who feel there isn't sufficient resale value in a home with less than three bedrooms. I probably would feel differently if I was still employed.

I get a lot of security knowing I'm debt-free. It's also possible renting rather than buying is a better financial choice for me long term.

Ruth, in Massachusetts (but formerly from California - and I wish it  weren't
so expensive out there!)

Ditto. I grew up in Los Angeles, then moved north to the Sierra foothills and never looked back. As attached as I am to California, I will consider other moving elsewhere to achieve my goals.

Cheers!
Marganne