Re: Wood Shop Guidelines
From: Mac Thomson (macheartwoodcohousing.com)
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:28:32 -0800 (PST)
I've copied our policies below. They are posted in the workshop. Our shop is about 900 sf and is used primarily for woodworking, but also sees some metalwork and motorcycle mechanical work.

SHOP USE
Use only your tools or general use tools (marked with green paint).
Guild members may also use tools designated for guild use.
Use only your materials or general use materials (labeled).
Thoroughly clean up after yourself.
Reset heaters to 45º when workshop is not in use.
Enjoy!

TOOLS
Almost all of the tools in the workshop are privately owned. Please get permission before using someone else's tools. Some of the tools are marked with green paint, which means the owner has made the tool available for general use. General use tools may be borrowed (removed from workshop) for only 1 day.

STORAGE

TOOLS AND MATERIALS
Please store tools and materials in the workshop ONLY if they are:
•  USED ON A REGULAR BASIS
•  KEPT WELL ORGANIZED

PROJECTS
Please store projects in the workshop ONLY if they are:
•  CURRENTLY BEING WORKED ON
•  LABELED WITH OWNER'S NAME

SAFETY
Get permission to use others' tools and learn how to use them safely.
Unplug tools when not in use.
Thank You!
WOODWORKING GUILD
The Heartwood Woodworking Guild is open to anyone who is willing to:
•  LEARN AND PRACTICE SHOP SAFETY
                AND EQUIPMENT CARE
•  SHARE IN THE COSTS

Many woodworking tools and materials are available only to guild members.

Please contact a member of the guild if you're interested in joining.

Members of the Woodworking Guild are the serious woodworkers in the neighborhood and own the big tools (most expensive and most dangerous): table saw, planer, joiner, router table, shaper, etc. We generally require guild membership to use those big tools to ensure that users know how to use them safely without damaging themselves or the tool. To be a guild member you must learn to use the equipment safely and pay a $100 one time fee, which pays for new equipment, blades, repairs, etc. The community provides the space, but all tools and materials are paid for privately.

Have fun in your shop.  I sure do.

Cheers,
Mac

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"The only angels we need invoke are those of our better nature: reason, honesty, and love. The only demons we must fear are those that lurk inside every human mind: ignorance, hatred, greed, and faith, which is surely the devil's masterpiece."
          - Sam Harris