Re: Work or Pay Systems
From: melanie griffin (melgrifgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 06:19:20 -0700 (PDT)
I'm thinking it would be a good idea for those of us not yet living in
cohousing to total the hours and money we spend on caring for our houses,
apartments, and grounds, including  shopping, repairs, maintenance, and
cleaning; paying, waiting for and supervising people who do paid work for
us, organizing and throwing parties, etc. Then when we move into a cohousing
community and someone suggests to us that a certain amount of time or money
be spent maintaining the community we can compare that with the time and
money we spend now.   Cohousing has by design and logic the potential to
reduce an individual's work/money load because of economies of scale, but I
can't imagine that anybody thinks maintenance of one's living space is an
option.

We all make the money/work tradeoff, so I'm not offended by the idea that
some people would pay and others would work, but I do see problems
evaluating the worth of that work. Is a person who works with computers
worth more than someone who cleans toilets? Certainly capitalism has decided
that question one way, but do we need to agree?  I think we go down a
dangerous road if we adopt our larger economy's decisions without thinking
about it, considering the salient populations who have traditionally done
unpaid work (people of color and women).

Melanie