Re: Work or Pay Systems
From: melanie griffin (melgrifgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:47:45 -0700 (PDT)
or maybe we disagree.While everyone's work has a different value, and that
can change over time and with circumstances, I think every community has to
come to some kind of consensus about how people contribute. You seem to like
market value, and if that works for you and your community more power to
you. I just can't accept that because capitalism values the work of a
garbage collector more than that of a babysitter, garbage collection is
always and everywhere more valuable than caring for children, so I advocate
communication rather than assumption that everyone thinks alike.  No two
people will ever agree on the relative merits of all work, so there need to
be some governing principles that the community can live with, a range of
which many people have generously shared in previous posts. I don't happen
to think market forces have to be those principles, and my point was that we
need to realistically assess what we need for self-care in and out of
cohousing, decide how to value it in a way that works for us, and not make
cohousing the villain in our realization that life sometimes requires some
work.
melanie