Re: Method for calculating Homeowners' Association dues in your cohousing community.
From: Mac Thomson (macheartwoodcohousing.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 06:49:25 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Joani,

Heartwood is one of the communities that calculates HOA dues in part based on the number of people living in each home. I think that the system works fine for us, although finding the perfectly fair system is forever elusive. Although the system is generally quite objective and easy to apply, sometimes we have to make judgement calls about the number of people living in a home. For example when children live part time with one divorced parent in the community and one divorced parent out of the community.

Here's the language that's in our agreements (and also in our CC&R's, I think):
Assessments

All homeowners are assessed monthly. Assessments are allocated 50% on a per lot basis and 50% on a per person basis. For purposes of making this calculation, the census of how many people are living in each home is updated at the beginning of each month. A person is added to the census if they intend to or do in fact live here for more than 90 days. A person is removed from the census if they intend to or do in fact move away for more than 90 days.

The calculation works as follows: Fifty percent of the total assessments to be collected is divided by the number of homes which have begun paying assessments to arrive at the per home assessment. Fifty percent of the total assessments to be collected is divided by the number of people living in the community to arrive at the per person assessment. The per person assessment is multiplied by the number of people in each home to arrive at the total per person assessment for each home. The total per person assessment for each home is added to the per home assessment to arrive at the total assessment to be paid by each homeowner.

Let me know if there's other info you are looking for.

Cheers,
Mac

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
     - Mary  Oliver