Mini Cohousing in NC and potential site in Mass
From: Whitney Schmidt (whitneyschmidtverizon.net)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:15:18 -0700 (PDT)
I was so glad to see these posts.  My family and I lived in an intentional
community with a large farmhouse and 3 standalone houses in Silver Spring,
Maryland.  We shared child rearing some, meals 4 times a week (and a kitchen -
I highly recommend everyone have at least some kind of private kitchen space).
I would not have been able to adopt my daughter if we had not lived there at
the time.

We moved on to Massachusetts, and purchased a property with which we hoped to
develop the same.  It's riverfront on the southcoast, near Onset, Mass.
surrounded by maybe 50 - 100 acres, with a flat, cleared area adjacent and
owned by the town that we always hoped to use as community garden.  Chickens
and small livestock could easily be had, and the neighbors are easy - and share
our vision.  They own some of the surrounding land, as well, so make good
neighbors for such a project!

It has become necessary for us to move to North Carolina, so my post is two
fold.

1.  Our property is available, and if anyone is interested in doing a mini
cohousing project we'd love to talk - even maybe take part, as I am involved in
town government and might be able to facilitate process by providing contacts
and procedural information.  There are lots of options.  Email me for our
website and details (seems like posting it here while it's on the open market
might be not within the guidelines?)

2.  We are looking for such a project in North Carolina, Raleigh - Chapel
Hill-ish area.  I know there are quite a few communities in that region, and
even a home or two for sale there.  We'd like something slightly smaller, I
think (but we are not done evaluating, and are open to possibilities).  Anyone
else out there looking for such a thing in that area?  We are garden-and-animal
centered, woodworking homeschoolers.  I would so love to find other
homeschooling families interested in the same thing - but it isn't a necessary
quality.

Thanks so much!

Whitney.